What It Costs to Close? Closing is a fairly simple process, and most of the time they walk away with a check in hand. But for buyers, closing can be one of the largest expenses of their lives. You
The Good News - Bad News About Capital Gains!
Dated: August 21 2020
The good news about capital gains on real estate!
The IRS typically allows you to exclude up to: $250,000 of capital gains on real estate if you're single. $500,000 of capital gains on real estate if you're married and filing jointly.
The bad news about capital gains on real estate!
Your $250,000 or $500,000 exclusion typically goes out the window, which means you pay tax on the whole gain, if any of these factors are true:
- The house wasn’t your principal residence.
- You owned the property for less than two years in the five-year period before you sold it.
- You didn’t live in the house for at least two years in the five-year period before you sold it. (People who are disabled, and people in the military, Foreign Service or intelligence community can get a break on this part, though; see IRS Publication 523 for details.)
- You already claimed the $250,000 or $500,000 exclusion on another home in the two-year period before the sale of this home.
- You bought the house through a like-kind exchange (basically swapping one investment property for another, also known as a 1031 exchange) in the past five years.
- You are subject to expatriate tax.
Click below to download the worksheet!
Want more info? (Click Here)
Helping you experience something new in Las Vegas that's guaranteed. Real Estate with less stress!....
Latest Blog Posts
When you make an offer on a home, part of that offer can include a little show of good faith on your part, in the form of cold, hard cash. Generally, one to three percent of the offer price is
Home flips purchased with financing or cash remain about the same. Nationally, the portion of flipped homes purchased with financing barely changed, rising from 42.4% in the second quarter of 2020
Homeowners want amenities for work and leisure, and they plan to enjoy long them long after the pandemic. Here are 3 trends to watch in 2021: “Prep and show kitchen" There is a downside