For most people, retirement feels like a long way off. But, if you don’t start preparing as early as possible, you may find yourself in a place of financial insecurity when the time does come.
What makes a home water-smart?
Dated: January 31 2020
To qualify as a Water Smart Home, homes must meet the following requirements:
- Front yards have water-smart landscaping, including trees, flowers and groundcover
- Backyard has a lawn less than 50 percent of the landscapable area, not exceeding 1,000 square feet
- Living lawns are not permitted in front yards; artificial turf is allowed
- No ornamental water features
- Combined pool and spa surface area is deducted from grass allowance
- Pool drain/sewer clean-out port is enclosed and clearly marked for convenient access
- Pools may not feature decorative water features that drop or propel water more than 24 inches above the main water surface
Plumbing and equipment
- Homes include high-efficiency WaterSense-labeled fixtures such as toilets, showerheads, and faucets
- When offered, appliances such as dishwashers, washing machines, water softeners, and water treatment systems must meet minimum program standards
- No evaporative air conditioning systems
- Each home includes a hot water system that minimizes wasted water before delivery of hot water
- Indoor and outdoor water pressure is regulated to a maximum of 60 psi using a pressure regulating valve (PRV) downstream of the water meter when necessary
- Irrigation systems are designed to eliminate runoff
- Separate control zones (valves) are provided for different plant and irrigation types
- Sprinkler heads are used only to water grass and have a four-inch or greater pop-up height
- Drip irrigation systems are required for planter beds and equipped with a pressure regulator, filter, flush end assembly and other components
- Irrigation controllers must meet minimum program standards
- Non-grass areas include a minimum 2-inch layer of mulching material (if used, weed barrier fabric must be permeable to air and water)
- Builder-installed landscaping includes a one-year limited warranty
One of my goals of the Water Smart Home is to educate potential home buyers about the benefits of buying a water-efficient home. Would you like to see one of these homes today? Give me a call!
Helping you experience something new in Las Vegas that's guaranteed. Real Estate with less stress!....
Latest Blog Posts
You can't deny that you "have to sell" your 2 story home. Your knees will thank you! List of 1 Story Homes (Las Vegas 1st Homes)Want to check your homes value? Find out (What is my